Debating Forum Usage II

For discussions of all things game related.

Moderator: Builders

Itrana

Re: Debating Forum Usage II

Post by Itrana »

Ok, changed the format a bit. Let me know if you guys like this version better or if you see anywhere it can be tweaked a bit more.
Arleve
Green Ajah

Post by Arleve »

Looks great Itrana. Love it.

One request - an Aes Sedai only parlor so I can chat w/ my Sisters. :)
Arleve
Green Ajah

Post by Arleve »

Oh, and bios - I tried to plug in Arleve's bio (after a few minor adjustments- nothing like time passing to finally notice awkward sentences) into hobbies and/or background on the profile page. I thought that would be perfect.

Alas, it was too long. I don't know how much control you have over those like if you could name them bio or if you could lengthen the amount of spaces available or not.

If so, maybe that could be used for bios.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

Arleve wrote:One request - an Aes Sedai only parlor so I can chat w/ my Sisters. :)
The Hall of the Tower forum was put in for this purpose, named such because I couldn't think of anything better at the time. :P If you have a suggestion for a better name, just let me know. At the current time there aren't enough active AS to have a true Hall of the Tower.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

Arleve wrote:Oh, and bios - I tried to plug in Arleve's bio (after a few minor adjustments- nothing like time passing to finally notice awkward sentences) into hobbies and/or background on the profile page. I thought that would be perfect.

Alas, it was too long. I don't know how much control you have over those like if you could name them bio or if you could lengthen the amount of spaces available or not.

If so, maybe that could be used for bios.
There is always the RP forum in the For Players section. If the Tower wants their own, I can do that too.

This is also exactly the kind of thing Shawnyve was trying to take care of by suggesting the blogs. There is, unfortunately, no way atm to link the forums and the blogs without laying down some serious $$$ for a special program, but you can post url links in the forums which would give people an easy way to get to your blog if we decide to go that route.
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Post by Shawnyve »

Actually, I think once i learn CSS I can put in buttons on the top, where faq and members are, that will link back to the website, blogs and wiki. If thats what you meant Itrana.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

That would be awesome if you could put those buttons in but what I meant was in posts you can reference websites and put links in, like this:

http://www.google.com/

Which can direct people to your blogsite, etc. You can also make it link a word or phrase to look cleaner.
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Post by Shawnyve »

Ok here is a log of a conversation i had with Itrana this morning. Figured it would be useful for everyone.
-------------------------------------------------------------
So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'Well, I was just wondering if there was enough content to run a website and a blog site separately, if you're putting all the Immortal sections from the website into a wiki and somewhat into the forums.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'I have this vague sense that we're spreading too thin, across 4 different things when perhaps we could make do with 2? If that makes sense?'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'But I also know there's a lot of stuff that I can't see, so I feel kinda blind as to the exact details too.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'I'm a fan of the KISS operating system...Keep It Simple Stupid...whenever possible.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'And I'm kinda feeling like we're walking away from that.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'If its too complicated, I'm not sure it will be used enough to make it worthwhile to put the effort into.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'Hope that all makes sense...'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'I guess I'm trying to say its feeling a bit disorganized atm? Maybe?'

Itrana sinks deeply into thought about the meaning of life.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'Or maybe its because I don't think I have enough information to give you an educated opinion.'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'What are your goals for each...venue?'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'What are you wanting to accomplish with each different thing?'

Maxim thought he asked that under the website poll originally...

Itrana nods at Maxim.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'I think you did too'

You say, 'Well, it does seem like we are spreading too thin, however It will be tied together in the end with same theme and through buttons/tabs so hopefully it will be seen as one big site.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'Ok'

You say, 'I guess I didn't answer really.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'So we have one master website that's like the center of the wheel'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'And the other places spoke out from that'

You say, 'will draw browsers in hopefully'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'Not to make too big a pun :P'

You nodnod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'So we have the forums for discussions.'

You chuckle.

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'And this combo website/blog thing...the website portion can act exactly like a "regular" website can?'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'or is it only an organizational tool for the blogs?'

You say, 'It can be either.'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'so what would go on the actual website then?'

You say, 'its setup out of the box as organization tool for the blogs'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'if the immortal stuff is pulled off into a wiki'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'and the bio stuff is pulled off into the blogs'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'and the board stuff is pulled off into the forums'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'what does that leave for the website?'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'you mentioned something about game info? like number of players on and ingame time?'

You say, 'The basics someone browsing for a mud might want to see. Features of the mud, current news, how we started, whos running it, how to connect'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'I'd guess some sort of overview storyboard to introduce people unfamiliar with WoT?'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'Ok, so not a whole lot then, maybe just a couple pages'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'and this website/blog thing...it can do all that?'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'and link to outside places like the forums and the wiki?'

You say, 'It just wont be splashy like I think Eris wants to do.'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'not splashy meaning no flash?'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'well that doesn't really bother me, i usually skip thru the flash intros anyways :P'

You say, 'I does limit you somewhat to what you can do.'

You chuckle.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'like what kind of limits?'

You say, 'Well, you have to work within their framework. I don't think you can do flash or other stuff like that. It does do anything you can do with html and/or php. But outside that I'm not sure.'

Itrana hrmms...

The Maxim says, 'then you can do flash through <embed>'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'ok'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'so'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'what are the features that are really pulling you toward the combined website/blog thing?'

You say, 'and eris and i have to learn css ;)'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'you mentioned a calendar featrue'

You say, 'i'm looking something up, hang on a sec. forgot my password to the blogs'

You roll your eyes.

Itrana grins evilly.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'I think there's a live chat feature with the forums, but I have nfc how to use it :P'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'or maybe i'm thinking of proboards...'

Itrana strokes her chin thoughtfully.

You say, 'ok right now this is the main blog page. Eventually I'll set it up so its not so...disorganized and repeating info everywhere.'

You say, 'click on a the latest post to actually get to the blog i have setup'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'where's the link?'

You pat yourself on your head, very reassuring.

You say, 'http://mirrorsmud.com/blogs/'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'can you have a blog directory without the website?'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'or do they just kinda hang out there in space if you don't have the website?'

You say, 'wordpress allows you to have a blog, wordpress-mu allows you to have multiple blogs under the same administration/theme, buddypress is a set of plugins that draw all the blogs of wordpress-mu together and add the community features like friends etc.'

You say, 'All of them allow you to build a website within their framework. Alot of the ebook authors I follow have blog websites.'

You say, 'i think thats a better explanation'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'and the community features are what you like? with the calendar?'

You say, 'yes, the calendar i added myself. there are tons of plugins and widgets that add extra features'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'what does the groups tab do on that link you gave me?'

You say, 'You weren't around I dont think when lorils blogs were going. I dont know what he used, i've emailed him but who knows if he'll answer. anyways it was really nice. you'd log into the main page and it would show all the new blogs or you could search '

Itrana nods.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'are they still out there in hyperspace somewhere?'

You say, 'I /think/ it allows you to setup a group of blogs under a name and have special access permissions. ie an AS group where only people in that group can read those blogs'

You shake your head.

Itrana nods.

You say, 'it was on his home server'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'ah'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'can you still do the website the way you wanted to do it?'

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'if you use the combo thing?'

You say, 'I'm not sure. I had kind of handed the website stuff over to Eris. She had ideas and experience doing sites. she does them for companies as a part time job'

Itrana nods.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'so it sounds like you can have a "blog organizer" whether you use their website stuff or not?'

You nod.

So'jhin Itrana speaks melodiously, 'So then the only question left is whether to use what they provide or make your own'

You say, 'right, you dont have to build a website to have the blog organizer. thats already there standard.'

------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps clarify things better for people.