Debating Forum Usage II

For discussions of all things game related.

Moderator: Builders

Arleve
Green Ajah

Debating Forum Usage

Post by Arleve »

Dae,

I love the backstory and I find your history intriguing but I'm curious where this would be posted in game to really be "public".

These forums are an extension of in game and make up for the fact that we don't actually all live and work in the White Tower. These can mimic simple conversations you might have while walking through the Hallways. I'm not saying you have to format them like that but I'm saying that in the abstract, that's what they'd do.

Or if there's an announcement by the Hall for the Tower or even Aes Sedai for the Tower, they could be "tacked" here. Even a novice could do that of course and you could imagine parchment placed at various places in the Tower for such a thing.

But if you're an Accepted or Aes Sedai or say the Keeper is wandering around and sees a tacked journal entry by Daenyla...it might look odd.

I don't know - it seems weird. What are your thoughts on how these boards should be, as they're in their infancy?

-Arleve
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Re: Daenyla - A public journal entry

Post by Shawnyve »

Your right of course. Ideally I'd like to see the boards used for conversations and messages within the clans. Stuff like Daenyla's journal entry(which i asked her to post a bio as shes up for accepted), adventure stories, will go eventually in the blogs if i can get them setup as I want them.

RP logs however i'm not sure where we'll want them to go, blogs or forums? I know Itrana was showing me posts on the WoT forums that had rp logs in it but again, that seems odd to me, like the Journal here or player biographies, etc.

But then i'm starting to wonder too if we get too much going will people use it all? Forums, Blogs for RP, wiki (to consolidate help files for newbies, immortals and all the zone work). I'm looking into a project manager for immortal work because most of the info is in mine or ganelon's head on who's doing what and in the heads of whoever is doing what zone and as we've all seen when one of us goes awol things get confused. So yea, too much? I don't know.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

On the subject Shawnyve raised about too many separate things going on at once (forums/blogs/wikis/etc) - it's something I've wondered about as well. We want all relevant information easy to access, but if it comes out of too many different sources that people have to keep track of, it's complicating things for some people - which is what we're trying to avoid. Even if it's all linked via a single page.

I think maybe RP logs should just be given it's own thread within each clan forum perhaps to separate it from conversational/mechanics related stuff? Or one within the general boards if you dont mind all players being able to see it. If it gets too much of a load at some point from being used frequently, it's easy enough for us to shift it out then.
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

There is a RP forum up in the general For Players area if its something that can be posted for everyone to see. Can also use the Westlanders section 2nd down from the very top section for completely IC posts as well, again, the entire mud can read them there.

If you guys decide you want your own place for RP posts though, just let me know. Its easy enough to add in.
Arleve
Green Ajah

Post by Arleve »

Well, I'll just address what I think would be great for the roleplay of these boards which may or may not be extended to other clan boards, if it was deemed a good way to go.

I think the boards should be seen as an extension of the Tower - the conversations we might have if we lived there and worked there. Not necessarily in conversation form though but stuff we might have chats about if I could bump into someone in the Hallways or something.

So for instance -

Novice Courtyard
In here novices could say anything that they might have in conversation with other novices while in the Novice Court. If they want to put bios, it's conceivable they'd tell someone about themselves and thus it wouldn't be secret. What's said there could be overheard by anyone who might have access to the Novice Quarters.

Accepted Courtyard
Same deal. Novices wouldn't be in the Accepted Quarters so they wouldn't read this forum.

Aes Sedai Parlor
Aes Sedai could talk here in open conversation. It wouldn't be a secret except that they would know they weren't being overheard by any but Aes Sedai.

Ajahs Forums
See above.

Tower Announcements
Viewable by any in any Tower clan.

In terms of overdoing it with forums, I agree to an extent. It seems like overkill when you see three Illian forums available. They may at some point be needed but it would be better I think if there were simply an Illian main forum, with the City, Companion and Bees as subforums.

I also don't think it's necessary for me to be able to see those forums or that they exist. I think we should see only ones we have access to. Seeing main top forums are fine. Everyone would see maybe "Tar Valon" but they'd only see a Tar Valon (city) sub forum when they clicked it rather than see that there are others they don't have access to.

Amador might have Children of Light, Hand of Light, Amador, etc. But I'd only ever see the Amador thread if I clicked it. I think too many forums seems a bit...clunky on the front page.

But back to the point with roleplay here.. I think these forums should be taken ICly and have IC consequences. I'm not thrilled with the idea of forum lurkers but I think in the beginning, these will be a draw if others see us having conversations, scheduling classes, etc.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

The reason so many of the forums are viewable to everyone is so newbies know what the options are. As an Immortal I get to scroll down thru EVERYTHING to reach my areas, so trust me, I'm with you when it comes to using more subforums...but, I also see the wisdom in allowing newbies and random passers by to see what clans we have available.

Again though, I'm open to changing the format of the forums if that's what's preferred, and its easy enough to do.
Arleve
Green Ajah

Post by Arleve »

Hmm. Good point though it could be a double edged sword as there are no posts in them. Perhaps I could make a suggestion. Once people register, maybe encourage them to go to their clan spots and post that they have access. ;)

Also, I still think it would be a cool change to make the top forums for "places" with all related forums inside - even if we can all see the other forums underneath.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

These forums have been up for a week now I think. I'll worry about the post counts in a couple months. Right now I'm just trying to get everyone to register here, so spread the word! :)
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Re: Debating Forum Usage II

Post by Shawnyve »

Hey guys, you may have noticed a venue change. Figured we should open it up to all, not just the white tower since it is a general how to use forums debate and too, Daenyla's post was an RP post so lets not clutter up stuff like that. We can have her adjust her post once we decide what we are going to do.
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Re: Debating Forum Usage II

Post by Shawnyve »

I think i would like to see all the clan boards under subforums. I find all the info available on the front page rather overwhelming myself. We've done that with the Aiel and the Darkside so i think things would be easier for people, newbies especially to navigate.

I think Arleve brought up having all the clans under the Homeland board on the front page, I like that idea. The clans that are not Homeland specific like Wisdoms, Kin and Sei etc can go under hmm just clans. We can have a note there that all the other clans can be found under their Homeland. Houses for each Homeland can go here as well. Then each Homeland has a board for all the homeland clans to talk in.