Weary Merchant

For information on new additons.

Moderator: Builders

Ganelon

Weary Merchant

Post by Ganelon »

Numerous times while playing low level characters, I've experienced a bit of a problem: You die.

Nothing amazing there - the problem comes in with reclaiming equipment. It used to be that you were able to see in the dark for a set period of the time after death, and so be able to get your eq back. However, after a number of changes to light and vision, this no longer works.

A white ? was placed on the map to denote a player's corpse. This helped immensely except for one thing:
If it's night, and you have no cash to buy a lantern/other light source (it's mainly a problem with those who haven't figured out where the various banks are, or how to obtain money) - you're left with two options:

1) Light a campfire (and hope there's not a bunch of aggros in the room waiting to smack you while you're looting, possibly killing you again.....)

2) Or wait for day.
The last of these is even more obnoxious - given we have five RL minutes per hour of game time. Die at nightfall, you could be sitting there for up to an hour.

During all this time with either method, you're running the risk of crashes/reboots wiping your corpse, scavenging mobs looting bare essentials, etc.

So I've put in a new mob - the Weary Merchant. This individual loads at every exit the Portal Stone in the Newbie Zone teleports to.
- Except the White Tower.

Saying help in his presence will grant a player the bare minimum of equipment needed to either go get their stuff, or at least be able to do something about re-gearing themselves slowly if it's gone beyond recovery and nobody is around to help.

The Weary Merchant will load the following and give them to you on request:

* a bullseye lantern (doing anything requires a viable light source if in the dark)
* a dagger (either to fight with while reclaiming gear, or if gear is unrecoverable, so you can butcher for food/skin for coins)
* a leather scrip (to store said food/skins/coins)
* a longsword (since every man and his dog seems to go long blades)

I've given this a cursory bit of testing and it seems to work as intended.

If you find it does not for some reason, notify me by PM.

Hopefully this will take some of the hardship out of lone newbies trying to get past deaths while nobody is around, and help out everyone else in the event of unforeseen crashes/rent file bugs/etc.

For the moment, this has only been added to wetlander side.
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.
Racquel

Re: Weary Merchant

Post by Racquel »

Doesn't each merchant in the newbie zone already give you some equipment?
Ganelon

Re: Weary Merchant

Post by Ganelon »

Yes and no.

It does - but only once, then sets a pvar so it wont repeat it.

And these arent in the newbie zone.
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.