Factions Kill-gains

An update on current projects being worked on, but not yet imped - to allow for player suggestions on said projects, and some transparancy on what's going in.

Moderator: Builders

Niila
Site Admin

Factions Kill-gains

Post by Niila »

Hi everyone!

I'm attempting to fix faction gains by killing/someone killing something that you've attacked. The system was originally built upon so that when you attacked a mob that could remember you, you'd get your factions changed if that mob was killed within a hour from your initial engagement.

At some point, this system broke down and only the killer (and those following them) would gain the benefit of faction change. Now, while this would be fine by itself, it too doesn't work as it should. If a follower of the leader kills the mob with factions, only the follower will reap the faction change (instead of the whole group).

Now we get to the point of my goal: I want to change the faction gain mechanics to reflect more on actual involvement. This means that in order to get faction changes from a mob, you need to have engaged the mob in one manner or the other in order to actually gain any faction change from it. This will make it so that even people not in a group fighting against Shadowspawn for example will still get 'rewarded' with appropriate faction changes.

The reason for the change has two ways to view it. First, it will hopefully disable a certain thing which I could see being easily abused (gaining faction changes from distance). Secondly, allow mass fights to allow people to fight out-of-group for the situations when it's needed.

Hopefully I can get this project done with haste, so that grouping up won't be losing on faction gains. I'll post here how the project progresses.

With best summery wishes,
Niila
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Factions Kill-gains

Post by Niila »

As an update: Now faction-gains in fighting are gained through participation. Just swinging once at a mob should count as participation.

Report any oddities you might encounter with the new system, please.
Aisle

Post by Aisle »

Had a mob kill me, another player took me to get my stuff and killed the mob, i was targeted and had to flee and I got points against me from darkfriend faction.

Being that the mob attacked me and I was just trying to not be killed, should I get points against me?
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

Aisle wrote:Had a mob kill me, another player took me to get my stuff and killed the mob, i was targeted and had to flee and I got points against me from darkfriend faction.

Being that the mob attacked me and I was just trying to not be killed, should I get points against me?
This is how it is supposed to work. I suspect you were grouped with the other player while recovering your gear which is why your factions changed.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Niila wrote:As an update: Now faction-gains in fighting are gained through participation. Just swinging once at a mob should count as participation.

Report any oddities you might encounter with the new system, please.
Nibiru is correct, but even ungrouped wouldn't have mattered.

Unless the mob killed you in one hit, auto engagement would have you swing back at least once.

Same on the return trip to get your gear - unless you were incredibly quick on the flee, if the mob engaged you, you would have returned the blow at least once.

That being said - don't stress over it.
As you play, you'll pick up various factioning.
Some factions happen pretty much automatically (DarkSide for wetlanders, LightSide/Aiel for trollocs, etc) as a means of ensuring the correct types of mobs aggro you according to race.

Getting Darkfriend factioning is almost inevitable for most characters as you begin smobbing, and has no real effect outside making mobs of that faction aggro you.

It's not an indicator of any wrongdoing if you're concerned that might be the case.
"How the fades must gnash their teeth......."

Demandred of the Forsaken.