Mob loot

For discussions of all things game related.

Moderator: Builders

Grimrak
Ghar'ghael

Mob loot

Post by Grimrak »

Ive hated this forever.

If we have the mutual policy of not looting each other, WHY can the mobs do it?

Your in a smob/town with LOTS of mobs, player attacks, mobs assist, mobs get kill blow, you might as well just go home.

By the time you get back to your corpse theres a ton of crap missing and the mobs are all over the place. You then run all the way back to base to re-eq, come back the mobs are even MORE spread out, so (without being sure WHICH mobs have your gear) you begin killing stuff trying to find a few of the precious items you CANT replace. Then the player comes in and we rinse, repeat.....

Not fun.

PLEASE remove mobloot.
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Mob loot

Post by Niila »

There's one reason that moblooting exists; to actually try to defer people from suicide running. Suicide running, known for people running at a person/mob, ripping intentionally, as there's no penalty for dying at all, is something we want to avoid for several reasons.

1) Dying brings people back at full health.
2) You lose nothing since you can just get your eq back after dying.
3) No reason not to die at level 50+, as you lose.. nothing.

While I understand your concern about losing eq (perhaps permanently), mobs only loot you if they killed you. The mob that killed you will loot randomly from one to three items from your corpse, unlike before when they looted your entire carcass. Now, if I remove moblooting, I'll have to add another substential penalty for dying, otherwise suicide running will continue once more.

If you have an alternative to implement instead of mobloot, do let me know. I'm not really fond of the mechanic myself either, but unless there's something else in place of it, it's not going to go away. My apologies.

- Niila

P.S. Players not looting one another is player's own choice in the end. They could do it, if they really wanted. In the case scenario of wetlander versus trolloc however, only few of the items can even be used by a wetlander, or trolloc, so the point is moot most of the time in any case. Griefing isn't really looked at very amiably though, so taking items from someone's corpse you can't use is pretty much not amusing. Although some of the weapons can be used by wetlanders, or vice versa.. like the ebony axe.
Grimrak
Ghar'ghael

Post by Grimrak »

For Wetlanders theres a much easier way to do this....
even easier when with a Sedai who has travel.

Goto smob, get low (While getting the smob low) then spam back to a certain mob and HEAL YOURSELF FULLY.

No death, no chance of losing eq and no spending time searching for Mistress.

Perhaps make death take longer to recover from. (thus giving the mob/smob a chance to heal)
Perhaps lose exp on death (all for this one....)
Perhaps make mob loot only take CLAN gear thats replaceable. (or this one....)

Dunno, but losing one time items is not in the spirit of the mud surely.....

As for the no loot policy, honestly think there should be a code in place to STOP the looting of player corpses.

Doubt someone would appreciate me looting a whole clan set and costing them like 10 - 15 qps.

Or looting their christmas gifts then letting them delete cause i cant use em.

Would love ANY other way to make death painful, with less people smobing its even harder to regain lost items, now with the changes, smobing solo is almost impossible without a TON of time to waste.

Not that i'd know, trollocs dont need to smob :P

*shrug*
Niila
Site Admin

Post by Niila »

FYI, the MOB you're talking about doesn't exist on the MUD. I removed it when I caught the glimpse of people abusing her. ;)

People already complain that death takes too long to recover from (due to having to find mistress, who can be quite hard to find on a occasion) so that's not really an solution. I suppose spawning people to the portal room might be an idea.. but then I foresee people abusing it as a way of teleporting for some reason..

Losing exp on death has been thought of, yet it won't ever happen, as our MUD has no level losses for exp.

The point of death is that you do lose something, or there's no reason for dying at all. Except for those warders, and Aes Sedai, who suffer from dying. Clan gear, as I seem to recall, is in fact free for trollocs, so there's no loss for them at all for losing their clan set. Weaponry maybe, special items they may have had.. but clan set loss is no loss (Maybe the same should apply to wetlanders)

Losing items isn't the spirit of the MUD, but is right now one of the only ways to actually 'punish' for dying. I say punish, since that's what it is. Dying isn't meant to be risk-free, and right now, the moblooting is a solution, while an annoying one. Unless we start giving people same kind of penalties as bonded people get.. but that'd likely lead to people never bothering to even risk dying.

As to the code to stop people from looting player corpses; why exactly would we do that? Since if it was done, it'd be the same as just making players not drop anything on death, really. We'd have to remove steal as well, since that's a way of 'getting' people's items as well..

Which changes exactly have made smobbing solo almost impossible without a ton of time to waste? I'd like to see that adressed, since as far as I know, I haven't made such changes..