Clans and Weaving

For discussions of all things game related.

Moderator: Builders

Shawnyve
Site Admin

Clans and Weaving

Post by Shawnyve »

Ok. I'm currently redoing weaves for all clans and in some cases adding weaves to clans. I've got the Tower, Wise Ones and MC's done. What I'm looking for is opinions for Kin and Dreadlords.

My thought is to have these two clans only able to master weaves. Outside of two weaves we've been saving for DF's only. Reasoning is this, Kin should only have ex-tower members in it and they learn what they learn while in the tower or if they were wilders who entered the tower after they channeled. The kin were not supposed to 'teach' or 'learn' after they left the tower.

Df's, basically our feeling in general is Dreadlords should be part of a regular clan and work within that clan to disrupt the 'light', in this case it would be Tower, or MC and should be learning what they can through there, rather then relying on the DF clans to teach them. Though by all means teach each other, should you trust that person enough to teach/learn from them without them turning on you :).

So thoughts?
Niila
Site Admin

Re: Clans and Weaving

Post by Niila »

I believe it's a good idea, overall. Dreadlords only being able to master weaves and kin being able to do the same also makes the clan a bit more 'special' if you want to use that term. Give it flavour. Overall, it doesn't really forbid the people from learning the weaves, but allows them mastering weaves they have learned through other means. I'd say.. go with this idea, it works in the intended way.

However, I do believe that it should be easier to take 'steps' that make these clans 'joinable' by people who are eligble for joining up to such. By this I mostly mean that people who might be tower-runaways would be approached by the Kin, and those people who have interest in serving the Dark have a means of finding how to become one.. and if they have potential to become a dreadlord, be offered that path at some point.
Virox

Post by Virox »

It makes a lot of sense. I agree with what Niila says and as well, the idea of having certain morts being approached ICly to join the particular clan they are interested in. It will be more interesting and interactive.
Velis
Warder Student

Post by Velis »

Maybe this was meant for the Imm general board?

I only say so because with this small snippet of the changes to come i would find it hard to answer :P

I still wonder on clan changing and keeping of skills gained there.
This would almost promote that and if an MC clan is to come, alot would move toward the dark once they have what they want.
As i said, everything just begs another question.
*imp*
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Post by Shawnyve »

No, it was meant for the general public. I wanted a bit wider opinion as not all of us play or even play channelers down there in the trenches.

I guess it was a little vague, though at the time I didn't really have any ideas at all what to do. I thought of the mastering at the last minute really. I may leave DF off for now as we will most likely be revising how they work shortly so things will change anyways.

As for the switching clans, as keeps happening again and again, the older imms know stuff the new dont because there is a ton of info in our heads that never got put down in writing in the first years of our conception. This is causing some major issues to crop up lately and something we'll be working on in the next month. So hopefully you'll start to see some of that info filtering down and answering your questions.

I will put out that we talked on this awhile ago as well but it never got documented though i'm not 100% sure we came to a final decision so this may change, basically we want you to be allowed to switch clans if rp allows it. Now obviously we need some limits on this, iirc - someone correct me if i'm wrong - we said you could switch as many times as you wanted, again if rp allows it, but on the 3rd switch you'd lose the mastery skills from the first clan. Then say on the 4th switch you'd lose the actual skills learned from that 1st clan. So yes, technically you could get channeling skills and blademaster skills and master the fighting skills of that military clan.

However, we are at some point, changing how skills work so I'm hopeful that will help keep control on how many skills a person knows. If this becomes a major issue after those changes we may revise this or perhaps even bring skill decaying back with some revisions. We'll see. there are lots of ins and outs that could end up on case by case basis, since you can be in more then one clan at a time providing they dont overlap ie 2 military, or WC and WS. So you could technically have 3 sets of skills. See? Its very confusing even for us :)
Cheiron

Post by Cheiron »

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by only able to master weaves. Are you saying they're the only ones able to master any weaves or that they can't teach...
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Post by Shawnyve »

Cheiron wrote:I guess I'm not sure what you mean by only able to master weaves. Are you saying they're the only ones able to master any weaves or that they can't teach...

They can learn any weave past 70 that they already have.
Cheiron

Post by Cheiron »

Right but are you saying that they will be the only ones able to do that or...

LOL

Sorry, I'm not trying to be dense. I just got back from DC for a seminar and then a counter rally for the teabaggers and my mind isn't quite with it yet I guess. ;)

Can the Tower master any weaves and if so, I guess what is the differentiation between the two.
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Post by Shawnyve »

Ahh no. Other clans can master various other weaves, though those two clans would be currently the only ones who could master ALL nonunique weaves IF they have learned them.

By nonunique I mean we have a few weaves we've saved that will be only learned by Discover/Quest or by clan. Like Travel for instance. Hopefully as time goes on we'll be able to introduce more of these types of weaves.
Cheiron

Post by Cheiron »

I understand now and it makes sense. I like it from a RP perspective.

Something to consider though. Assuming we get DFs eventually in all clans, including all Ajahs, DLs won't need set teachers.

They'll have access to any weave at all, masterable, no matter how where the DL came from in the first place through player teaching.