Valind Kel'thai

For in character logs and discussion.

Moderator: Builders

Valind

Valind Kel'thai

Post by Valind »

“Valind Kel’thai. Born to the minor noble House Kel’thai, fealty pledged to House Damodred. Born in Tar Valon on a merchant trip, but a citizen of Cairhien, the bastard child of noble Althin Kel’thai and Elwaine Corass, though for whatever reason he acknowledged you as a daughter and took you in. Trained in the use of long swords, the use of armor, and skilled at riding.”

He paused and looked her in the eyes, his own burning with contempt for women in the military. “Are you sure you want to join, girl? The Elite is not for the rank and file. The Cairhienin Elite is truely the Elite, the men...”

Here, he paused again, lips curling upwards in disgust, “... and women, pathetic, weak wenches that you are, who defend Cairhien against any that may oppose us, the commanders that dominate in battle, the soldiers heading the successful charges against our enemies, those who never fall without the blood of hundreds on their hands in battle. That is what you wish to be, Valind?”

Meeting his gaze evenly, she replied without slightest inflection. “I do.”

“Very well then,” The recruitment officer stared back at her, smugness evident in his gaze, “Though I can almost guarantee you will be gone by the first week, here are your papers. Report to the fortress in the morning. Sergeant Huthor will meet you and tell you your duties.”

Though the tavern was already half empty by the time she reached it, the bartender still asked with barely a hint of tiredness, “What's your poison tonight, milady?”

“Ale, Jannson. Lots of it.”

With a small nod that could easily be mistaken for a tired droop, Jannson strolled off to fulfil her wishes. When he returned, she snatched the mug out of his hand and downed half of it before setting it down on the counter.

“Stupid pig. As if I can’t make it in the Elite. What does he know? Probably some sort of idiot who got through by sheer luck. Meh. I’ll show him. They’ll see what I can do. He’ll regret what he said. Sergeant, eh? I'll show him.”

Her lips twitched in response to her own words, self-amusedly grinning around the rim of her mug. “I’ll show them all.”
'Reality' is an illusion brought on by alcohol deficiency.
The Heron and Circle shall fly forevermore.

Valind

Valind Kel'thai

Post by Valind »

Directly after promotion

Glancing over the list of things her father had brought her, Valind dropped onto her chair and leaned back on the soft cushions, enjoying luxuries long forgotten after years in the Elitesmen. Reaching into a small box, she pulled out a small brown journal, from her childhood. “Father brought this for a reason, I believe.” She murmured thoughtfully. Flipping it open, she began to read.

14th Maigdhal

It was uncle Anlin’s birthday today! He turned thirty-three this year, the old man! Still not as old as Daddy, though, hehe. We brought him to the manor and had lots of nice food. Daddy gave him a nice sword to add to his collection. I want one! Uncle Anlin brought me a new dress, which is so nice and snug!

What was funny, though... I had this bad feeling about Uncle Anlin, like something bad was going to happen. Hope nothing does...

14rd Shaldine

Last week was Amaethon! It was sad. We have to be sad for dead people, and all. But the day before yesterday was Shaoman! I got to play! Shaoman is great!

9th Jumara

It’s the feast of Abram today! I can’t wait! All that delicious food, just waiting for me!

13rd Saban
My birthday’s coming next month! Uncle Anlin’s coming again, I hope he brings me something good! Daddy brought me to watch two blademasters training today. He said he’s learnt before, but he’s not very good, not like grandpa was. He says grandpa was a bladesmaster, and Uncle Anlin almost is. I wanna be one when I grow up!

28th Saban

Daddy brought me to see someone become a bladesmaster today. It was so exciting! He told me the man was a student of the Way of the Wind, and the other guy studied the Path of Water, but I couldn’t really see the difference.

18th Aine

Uncle Anlin couldn’t come today, and tomorrow’s my birthday... He was supposed to come! What happened to him? Ooh, I hear someone at the door! Will write soon!

20th Aine

Uncle Anlin was a channeler? But he was so nice! How could they take him away? He never hurt anyone, ever!

The next few lines are blotted with old tear stains.

I’ll do what uncle Anlin couldn’t do! I’ll become a bladesmaster and be like grandpa!

Closing the book gently, Valind wiped
the single tear from her eye. Uncle Anlin had been so nice to her. She still had the dress he’d given her. In fact, she was sure she could squeeze into it if she tried. The advantages to being five-nothing were few, but she made do with what she had.
Thinking about her promotion, and uncle Anlin’s constant respect for the Elitesmen, she smiled. He’d have been proud.
'Reality' is an illusion brought on by alcohol deficiency.
The Heron and Circle shall fly forevermore.