Zanel

For in character logs and discussion.

Moderator: Builders

Zanel

Zanel

Post by Zanel »

Part One:

Zanel knelt, scrubbing the floors vigorously. Almost there, he thought. Being a servant had its ups and downs. Fine roof over your head, a solid pay... regardless of how small it is. The work was hard, fancy estates required a lot of cleaning. Zanel liked living here, though he wanted more out of his life then just being a servant. Finishing his chores, he started heading back to the rooms he shared with his parents.

Zanel was tall for his age, only being his sixteenth name day. His long gray hair almost covers his bright purple eyes. He walked down the plain corridor of the Servant's Wing, daydreaming about what he wanted to do with his life. Some kind of flier that was posted on the wall caught the man's eye.

'Join the Queens Guard of Andor!' it proclaimed. Zanel smirked. Him, wanting to be a soldier? A blonde haired woman leaned back on the wall next to him. Zanel jumped then stumbled 'Ka- Kassia!' His cousin grinned at him, 'Thinking of joining the Queens Guard?' 'What? Na- no!' She giggled, then walked a way with a wave. Why was that funny? Light, women are mad.

Zanel frowned, the other servants didn't know how to act around him. He always had received special treatment. He had room with an actual bed, food without bugs. That was because his father was the bastard son of the last High Seat of Trakand. The other servants just stared at him, they seemed to not know if they should bow to him or strike up a conversation.

Zanel finally approached his room, it had been a long day and he was ready to get some rest. He heard a man and a woman yelling inside. Great, they are fighting again, Zanel thought. He opened the door and walked to his bed, which was on the other side of the room, trying to avoid notice. He finally spared a look over to his parents. Something looked.... different. His mom looked terrified, not angry. His dad looked past angry, his face red and eyes bulging. 'No.. no. I can't stop.' His mother's purple eyes locked with his own. 'Ru-' Suddenly something hit Zanel, and his vision went red. The right side of his face seared with pain. There was a loud shattering sound, then all went black.
Zanel

Re: Zanel

Post by Zanel »

Part Two:

Zanel awoke to darkness. He groaned and started to panic. I cannot see! He thought frantically. Sitting up, the wind took a piece of paper from his face and blew it into the air. Oh, not blind. He squinted his eyes, vision focusing. For the first time he noticed what was happening around him. A part of the estate, his room, was ablaze. Servants ran frantically, pouring buckets of water and trying to lessen the fire. Zanel leapt to his feet, and then ran to a nearby menial. “M-my parents, where are they!”

The servant looked at his face dropping her bucket and covering her mouth. Zanel tightened his lip, then it hit. It felt like a thousand needles were ripping into his cheek. He rose a hand to touch the cheek, expecting there to be blood. There was no blood, just a rough, cracked trench. Zanel almost fainted again, but gritted his teeth and remained conscious. No, I need to help.

For what felt like hours they threw water at the fire. It was a bizarre blaze, only consuming half of the room. No amount of water seemed to put it out. Suddenly, the flame just dissipated. A few of the noblemen standing around gasped, and some servants screamed out loud. Zanel just stumbled to two mounds of ash and sunk to his knees.

Zanel sat for what must have been hours. Everyone had left, and the sun had started to rise. Finally he stood up, and went about his day as normal. None of his cleaning implements had been damaged in the odd fire. His day went by in a fog. All he could remember was people’s eyes. They did not convey pity, remorse, or empathy. They stared at him with accusation and scorn. It did not matter to Zanel, he just ignored them. Finally he went back to his room. He cleaned it methodically; no one was going to help him here.

He finally finished cleaning everything besides the mounds where his parents used to be. He sank to his knees again, and this time he wept. His emotions came like a torrent, trying to sweep him away. In the middle of his weeping something blew through the hole where his window used to be and hit him in the chest. He held it up to the candle on his table. It was the Queen’s Guard poster. I... I am so weak. His hands clenched, crumpling the side of the poster. Queen’s Guard... they... they can make me strong.

He stood up and covered the hole with the poster.

The next morning Zanel strode to the audience chamber with determination. He brushed past the guards by the door before they could blink. They quickly chased after him but he continued into the chamber. The High Seat Maighdin Trakand sat on her throne like chair talking to some fat man wearing fine silks. One of the guards shouted “My Lady he just-.” She held up a hand, and they instantly quieted. “Both of you shall loose one week’s pay, I do not pay you to stand and stare at your toes.” They bowed, and then retreated. Surprisingly, as she looked to Zanel her deep blue eyes were filled with sorrow. Beautiful eyes framed by an equally beautiful face. Golden ringlets chased with red flows behind her back. So beautiful, he immediately reddened. Not the time, fool! She frowned, and he reddened even further.

Zanel immediately took to his knee. “Rise nephew,” Maighdin proclaimed “I grieve for your father and mother.” Her mouth twisted at “mother.” Zanel blinked, she had never called him nephew before. He stood, and stumbled his words “Um… tha-thank you my Lady.” She smiled, a beautiful smile, making him redden again. “Is there something you wished to discuss?” she urged. “Yes, yes my Lady. I wish to join the Queen’s Guard.” This made her frown, but the she nodded. “Yes, it will be good to have a member of our House in Queen’s Guard.” She raised a hand. “Very well, you have my leave. Go, take whatever you need from the guard post. I shall send word to Caemlyn.” He turned and started to go. “And Zanel,” He turned back around, “Be safe.” He frowned at the sudden sincerity, but bowed and took his leave.