Master Haikea Aisobita

For in character logs and discussion.

Moderator: Builders

Haikea

Master Haikea Aisobita

Post by Haikea »

The sound of war-horn blew in the distance, wailing for the death to come for those who heard it. The sun was setting in the horizon behind a forest, the direction in which the group of men wearing earthen colored clothing were heading. Behind them a village was in ruins, the sound of women and men dying echoed in their ears. It wouldn't be long until there would be different kind of sounds of dying coming from there, they knew. The Shienaran Lancers would hit them swift and hard, leaving no spawn of shadow alive, yet it would be of very little comfort to those who had already died.

You should always try to trap animals instead of killing them, he thought to himself as he was digging a hole in the ground with spikes. Father always used to say that and he was a good hunter. He had traveled far from that village he had once been born in, traveling south. He made his money from the skins of the animals he had caught, selling them to the tanners in the villages that he had passed. It was mostly small game like rabbits, but most tanners were happy to buy skins that were cheap. I think they're ripping me off, he thought to himself as he covered the trap with moss, I've talked with the local hunters and they get paid nearly double for their work. He grinned at the thought, rechecking the trap he had made before he stood up. It didn't matter if he got paid less for the same work, at-least he got something out of it. It would buy him supplies and that was enough. You shouldn't gain more than you needed, after all. At-least that's what father always used to say..

It had been almost a year by the time Haikea Aisobita, hunter from the Borderlands arrived to Caemlyn. The large woods of Braem nearby provided for excellent hunting-ground and the tanners this far south paid everyone the equal amount based on their goods alone. The larger the game, the better the price for the skin. Perhaps it was greed that drove him eventually, instead of need, as he amassed coin and spent more time in the hunt than anything else. Eventually the small prey was no longer satisfying and he had heard the plains of Lugard housed a number of more dangerous animals, but at the same time the challenge and coin provided would be ten times better.

It was during one of these trips to the plains that his life took a turn. He met a fellow Shienaran, warrior as proclaimed by the top-knot that they wore. He was one of the Warders, and his movements precise, to the point, with no extra effort in them. He hunted along the man for a while, but it was more of the man striking down the animals and Haikea himself only staring in awe. He hadn't ever trained in weaponry like swords himself, as a boy was only given a sword to mark his passage to adulthood as a warrior. It wasn't for those who were common folk to have such a thing, but the Shienaran gave him a blade to arm himself with, indicating that he would have to set on the path to become a warrior.

A few weeks afterwards from having met the Shienaran and having been given a sword, Caemlyn was under attack. During the defense of the city, Haikea sought to defend the city as he now held a sword as a Shinaran, even though he didn't wear the top-knot. However, him like many of the city soldiers were wounded and unable to continue fighting in the battle. He fell, the sword falling from his hands as he lost his consciousness.

It had been two days when he came to at a Wisdom's house, his tattered clothing set to a pile next to him. The battle had gone well for Andor, and the forces assailing had been all wiped from existence. The sword that he had with him however had been lost, possibly taken by either side as there was no way of telling what had befallen to it. He was ashamed to meet the Shienaran again, as he had lost his sword in battle, yet the man only said that swords are meant to serve a purpose and when the old one is no longer available, another will need to be used. While a man uses the sword to fight with, it's the man who is the weapon, not the other way around. As long as the man was not broken, there would be new battles with another sword in hand.

When he returned to hunting after his injuries were long gone, Haikea found it lacking in purpose. Why would anyone hunt animals if not for the food itself, he thought to himself. If I can do more than just hunt for the world, shouldn't I take the opportunity? The thought hang heavy in his mind. He had been given a sword, and even if he had lost it, he had been a warrior for a cause, even if it was just for a little while. So what could he do? Return to Shienar and join the Shinaran Lancers? No, while the duty was heavier than a mountain, his home was here, in the south now. The Queen's Guard, the name came to his mind. I've fought alongside them once, why wouldn't I do it again? Determined, he set out to find the nearest recruitment officer of the Queen's Guard, to serve the Queen and the Country.