Must Read Books

For all non-game related topics.

Moderator: Builders

Itrana

Must Read Books

Post by Itrana »

Starting this because we keep discussing books and I'm too lazy to write them down at the time. :P

I highly recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy (yes, he's the guy who's finishing WoT for us). The first book is especially good imo.

Magic of Xanth by Piers Anthony is also a good one, for the first 8 or 9 books at least.

I have a love/hate relationship with George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. He drives me freakin' nuts but I'm too into it to not read future books (assuming the 5th one ever actually gets released :P ).

I'll post more as I think of them.
MercTheMad

Re: Must Read Books

Post by MercTheMad »

And of course Aeryon and I discovered some of the young whipersnappers around here don't know Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance novels, or RA Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden novels. These novels being based on the first "mainstream" RPG should be required reading dudes and dudettes, especially for those of you who didn't recognize the name Gygax. :P
Cheiron

Post by Cheiron »

I've read Dragonlance, Song of Ice and Fire, Mistborn and Xanth. The only group Id on't recognize are Drizzt Do'Urden.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

Martin irritates me cuz he can't seem to leave anyone alive, but yes, he is also pretty graphic.
Cheiron

Post by Cheiron »

Itrana wrote:Martin irritates me cuz he can't seem to leave anyone alive, but yes, he is also pretty graphic.
I threw the book across the room when one of the chars died, I was so shocked and po'd.

I think the graphic nature of the novels gives them a dark and gritty feel, makes them and most of the characters a bit ugly. But the period and world they portray I think are supposed to be very dark - and I think this style helps him reach that.

We could assume that the same or worse happens in Jordan's work as they speak of fades enjoying playing with women before killing them but even if the same happens, the lack of vulgarity or graphic details leaves less of a oily feel to the world.

It doesn't bother me personally but can see why one would find the books uncomfortable to read.
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

Can't believe I forgot to mention it, but the Ender and Shadow series' by Orson Scott Card are excellent and are definitely must reads. I'm currently working on the new one, Ender in Exile, right now.
Maxim
Site Admin

Post by Maxim »

I'd add Steven Erikson... his books "The Malazan tale of the Fallen".

Also Katherine Kerr being one of my favorite authors I can't not suggest her series (starts with Daggerspell).
MercTheMad

Post by MercTheMad »

And all things C.S. Friedman. She rocks.
Shawnyve
Site Admin

Post by Shawnyve »

If anyone is interested in moving into urban or paranormal fantasy (our time, witchs, vamps, weres, fae etc.) There are a bunch of really good authors.

Laurel K Hamilton both vamp hunter and faery series are good.
Kim Harrison
Dresden Files, mind went blank on author and to tired to look him up. also on TV sci fi channel
Charlene Harris her series was sent to Tv, HBO Trueblood.
Patricia Briggs
Carrie Vaugne(sp?)the Kitty and the midnight hour is first bk
Itrana

Post by Itrana »

Dresden Files is Jim Butcher, I'll be starting on those soon as I finish Ender in Exile. :)